Tuesday, December 6, 2011

So You Want to Be a Dog Trainer

Whenever I am out dog training or I meet people in a social setting they say they have always wanted to be or would like to be a dog trainer like me!  Whereas this is flattering I often wonder if people really realize what it takes to truly be a professional dog trainer!

I do not lead a glamorous life!

Some days I wish I could dress up, have long nails and wear jewelry, but alas…clothes get stained and ripped, nails are torn off, and I have had jewelry ripped off my neck by boisterous dogs.  And I have been bitten more times than I would like to admit; some being my fault and others blocking more serious damage.

I have one dog trainer friend that was disemboweled by a dog and another whose arm was broken by a dog that ran to the end of his leash!  Dog training is not always full of walks, snuggles and roses!

And, unless you import and train personal protection dogs or police dogs, it can sometimes be difficult to find your niche and actually make money in this business.

BUT, this article is not to discourage.  I actually welcome fresh faces who are willing to learn and dedicate their lives to improving the lives of dogs and their families.  We need as many kind and compassionate dog trainers out there as possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template Design By:
SkinCorner